[CentOS-virt] CentOS 6 VM image for paravirtualizaton on CentOS Xen server

Grant McWilliams

grantmasterflash at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 01:11:30 UTC 2015

On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 10:32 PM, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 4:02 AM, Manuel Wolfshant
> <wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro> wrote:
>
> > Quote from an actual installation:
> >
> > [root at xenh4 ~]# history| grep virt
> > virt-install  -n dhcpdns -p -r 1024 --os-type=linux --vnc -f
> > /var/lib/xen/images/dhcpdns -s 2 -l
> > http://192.168.50.40/mrepo/centos6-i386/disc1 -x
> > "ks=ftp://192.168.50.40/linux/ks-minimalC6-xen.cfg"
> >
> > [root at xenh4 ~]# uname -a
> > Linux xenh4 2.6.18-400.1.1.el5xen #1 SMP Thu Dec 18 02:18:37 EST 2014
> i686
> > i686 i386 GNU/Linux
> >

> https://github.com/CentOS/Community-Kickstarts/blob/master/ks-minimalC6.cfg
> > is quite close to the above mentioned ks-minimalC6-xen.cfg ( actually
> both
> > are descendants of the same template of mine )
>
> Thanks!!!! The key, hinted at by various notes in this thread, was the
> use of the "--location" to point to a network accessibleinstallation
> repository. I'm afraid that the Xen wiki directions about "--location"
> are a bit unclear about the need for this to be the base of a
> deployment directory, one that *must* have a working subdirectory
> called 'imagex/xen' with the relevant files in it. I admint, I have to
> just love hardcoded, hidden requirements!!!
>
> I'll point out for others who may need to image systems quickly that
> it's often more effective, especially in terms of speed and external
> bandwidth, to use an internal mirror as you did. I'll also point out
> that it can be awfully handy to keep such a mirror up-to-date and use
> it your local configurations. I publish such scripts at
> https://github.com/nkadel/nkadel-rsync-scripts, in case anyone else
> wants them.
>
> I'll also mention my old habit in ks.cfg files of doing this, to hang
> onto the actual ks.cfg instead of the confused and '%pre' and '%post'
> stripped, anaconda reverse engineered oddness in
> /root/anaconda-ks.cfg.
>
>     %pre
>      cp -f /tmp/ks.cfg /mnt/sysimage/root/ks.cfg
>     %end

Nico,
   I wrote tutorials on how to do this when I was using xen. I haven't used
these tutorials in a couple of years but they worked then so they should
still work now.  This is for an automated CentOS 6 (x86_64).

http://grantmcwilliams.com/item/538-centos-6-virtual-machine-64-bit-installation-on-xen

Grant McWilliams
http://grantmcwilliams.com/

Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use
Windows."
Now they have two problems.