[CentOS-virt] CentOS 6 VM image for paravirtualizaton on CentOS Xen server

Mon Mar 16 06:58:17 UTC 2015
Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik at iki.fi>

On Sun, Mar 15, 2015 at 07:52:42PM -0700, Sarah Newman wrote:

> > I'd really prefer to work from 'virsh' than from hand-writing xl
> > configuration files.When I last did this sort of thing, I worked from
> > a PXE environment that I controlled and could reserve DHCP settings
> > based on MAC addresses, and tune PXE to boot from disk by default but
> > allow users to select a clean re-install of the operating system they
> > wanted.
>
> virt-install with --location maybe? Never tried it but it looks like what you want.
>
> http://linux.die.net/man/1/virt-install

Yeah you can use virt-install on CentOS 5 Xen host to install CentOS 6 PV domUs,
I do that often, an example for GUI installation:

virt-install -d -n vmname -r 1024 --vcpus=2 -f /dev/vg01/vmname_disk0 -b virbr0 --vnc -p -l "http://ftp.funet.fi/pub/mirrors/centos.org/6.5/os/x86_64"

(you need to have virt-viewer installed, that'll be used to display the VNC GUI console).

-- Pasi