[CentOS-virt] new install of Xen 4.6 hangs on Loading initial ramdisk

Fri Nov 27 23:18:05 UTC 2015
Craig Thompson <president at caldwellglobal.com>

First post to this list.  I would appreciate some help on this issue.

As background, I installed CentOS 7 on a Dell server, and then ran the following commands:

yum update http://buildlogs.centos.org/centos/7/virt/x86_64/xen/centos-release-xen-7-11.el7.x86_64.rpm
yum --enablerepo=centos-virt-xen-testing update
yum --enablerepo=centos-virt-xen-testing install xen

Doing that, I was able to successfully install Xen, create a virtual machine with its own HVM setup, logical volume, etc. and boot it just fine.

I then tried to do the same on an IBM x3550 server I’m trying to install with CentOS 7.  The CentOS 7 install went just fine.  I can boot into the standard kernel and have a working machine.  But after running the commands above to install the Xen hypervisor, the machine hangs on boot for a few moments after displaying the lines below and then reboots in a loop over and over and over:

It never gets beyond that.  If I choose the stock kernel (no Xen) from the Grub menu, it will continue to boot into that just fine.

My grub.cfg file has these entries of note:

 multiboot	/xen-4.6.0-2.el7.gz placeholder  dom0_mem=1024M,max:1024M cpuinfo com1=115200,8n1 console=com1,tty loglvl=all guest_loglvl=all ${xen_rm_opts}
        echo    'Loading Linux 3.18.21-16.el7.x86_64 ...'
        module  /vmlinuz-3.18.21-16.el7.x86_64 placeholder root=UUID=9dc18146-f9b3-41cc-ba9c-7314689abcde ro crashkernel=auto debug irqpoll ipv6.disable=1 console=hvc0 earlyprintk=xen nomodeset
        echo    'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
        module  --nounzip   /initramfs-3.18.21-16.el7.x86_64.img

What I have tried:

1) adding debug into the vmlinuz line
2) disabling ipv6 in that line
3) adding root=UUID=9dc18146-f9b3-41cc-ba9c-7314689abcde to the last line AFTER /initramfs ….

Nothing so far has made any difference.  Obviously the process works, as it works for me just fine on the Dell server.

Underlying this machine is a SATA RAID 1 PCI card with two SSD drives attached in a RAID 1 mirror.  Not that that should matter, but I’m including it for reference. As noted previously, it boots into the stock kernel just fine.

Any help would be appreciated.

--
Craig Thompson, President
Caldwell Global Communications, Inc.

This message has been scanned by
WingNET for spam & virus content.
If you get spam regularly, contact us at
sales at wingnet.net for e-mail filtering.