[CentOS-virt] Beta CentOS 7 Xen packages available

Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk

konrad.wilk at oracle.com
Tue Sep 8 21:23:13 UTC 2015

On Tue, Sep 08, 2015 at 11:22:58AM -0400, Alvin Starr wrote:
> On 09/08/2015 10:58 AM, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 08, 2015 at 10:50:57AM -0400, Alvin Starr wrote:
> >> FIrstly Centos is primarily a RHEL clone.
> >> This means that the primary design decisions are to be as RHEL like as
> >> possible.
> >> After that there are additions and upgrades.
> >>
> >> Secondly Fedora does not actively support Xen.
> > Nonsense. Have you done 'yum install xen' ?
> Sorry. I mis-spoke there.
> I should have said RedHad does not actively support Xen.

> >> As a long time Xen and RH/Fedora user I have spent lots of time
> >> building/rebuilding broken/missing packages in Fedora.
> >> Quite frankly Xen under Fedora is somewhat broken.
> > It is? Please open bugs and CC me on them (ketuzsezr at darnok.org)
>
> CPU features/flags are just outright is not there.
> I tend to run into the problems as I am trying to use Xen for my
> development environment.
> I have posted fixes and bugs in the past and will in the future.

Excellent!
> But Xen/Centos does not have a big dedicated development or a small one
> for that matter.
> So Xen development will lag a bit.
> This is not a criticism but just a fact of life.

Please open bugs for these issues. The CPU features/flags is an
important feature that needs to be properly addressed in libxl toolstack.
Right now it is a bit of a trainwreck.

> >> Libvirt support for KVM is very good because RH pays people to support KVM.
> >> Xen under the old config format has reasonable support(possibly 60% of
> >> features) but under libxl the support is much worse (possibly 30% of
> >> features).
> > Please file bugs so we can figure out which ones are missing.
> When I fight my way through my current provisioning environment I will
> be likely posting more bugs.

Fantastic!
> I have to admit that I am not the best contributor because often I just
> fix the bugs.

I would say that is the best contributor!

> Partly because being outside the community learning all the nuances of
> posting fixes is way more effort than just fixing them.

Oh, .. I must be missing something here. Posting fixes seems like an
excellent way of removing the issues you had found by them not
reappearing in the future?

> >> Thirdly RedHat has been active at times to remove Xen support in favour
> >> of KVM(Their own virtualization technology).
> > Not sure I follow as Fedora does not make this distinction.
> As of the last time I checked you could not build a RedHat 7 kernel with
> Xen enabled.

Odd. I thought you could. The only one missing was the PV framebuffer +
intial domain support but the rest were enabled. And that initial domain
support was due to them mucking with Kconfig to outright disable it.

> The point to be made is that Fedora is not RHEL and Centos is more like
> RHEL.
>
> So comparing Centos to Fedora is like complaining that RHEL should
> support all the current Fedora packages/features.
> There is a relationship between all of them but they are not the same.

Right.