[CentOS-virt] Report on Xen-4.6rc2 from virt7-xen-46-candidate

George Dunlap

dunlapg at umich.edu
Wed Sep 9 14:02:30 UTC 2015

On Wed, Sep 9, 2015 at 12:25 PM, Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer at ngtech.co.il> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> What do you mean by doesn't do forking?
> It allows forking processes if the application can do that.
> It doesn't fork them by default but ,is it really needed?
> If xenstored is testing to be run under systemd and not forks itself because
> of it, that's another thing.

Sorry, typing quickly, leaving out important information. :-)

I know very little about systemd, but I know that the Xen project
comes with systemd files which have been written by people who should
know, and that these are tested on a regular basis.

The xenstored.service file includes this line:
 Type=notify
where other options for "type" might be "forking".

I also know that xenstored is explicitly coded to be able to detect
whether it's been run from systemd, and to Do The Right Thing in that
situation -- and that actually includes ignoring the pidfile and not
forking.

So what I meant was, "xenstored is designed not to do its own forking
under systemd".

 -George