[CentOS-virt] poor performance with dom0 on centos7

Thu Sep 17 08:57:47 UTC 2015
Keith Roberts <keith.roberts at ecric.nhs.uk>

On 2 Sep 2015, at 09:22, Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik at iki.fi> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 01, 2015 at 06:47:18AM +0200, Christoph wrote:
>> Hi All
>>

> Hello,
>
>> it is possible to tune dom0/domU for better IO/network performance?
>> Since I have changed to Cenots7 dom0, I have a really poor IO
>> performance inside a PV VM.
>>
>> I have already done what is described on
>> http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Tuning_Xen_for_Performance
>> It is better now but still significantly worse than with centos6 dom0
>>
>> my settings:
>>
>> xen parameter: dom0_mem=1024M cpufreq=xen dom0_max_vcpus=2
>> dom0_vcpus_pin
>>
>> xl sched-credit
>> Cpupool Pool-0: tslice=30ms ratelimit=1000us
>> Name                                ID Weight  Cap
>> Domain-0                             0   1024    0
>> samael                               1    256    0
>> satan                                2    512    0
>> amon                                 3    256    0
>> leviathan                            4    512    0
>>
>> echo 1048576 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_limit_output_bytes on dom0
>>
>> the both domU's satan and leviathan are very IO performance oriented
>> (NFS server and downloading vm)
>>
>> Is there something more what I can do or try?
>>
>> could it be a selinux issue? I have it in permissive mode there, not
>> disabled. But permissive means only to collect the info not enforcing
>> the rules...
>>
>> (I use the xen45 pkgs)
>>

> You forgot to mention the most important thing.. what kind of performance numbers are you seeing? What are you expecting?
>

> Thanks,
>
>> Pasi

Here’s a useful disk i/o stress test program that I got good results with on openSUSE 13.1, by running it on several VM’s overnight:

Using Bonnie++ for filesystem performance benchmarking
http://archive09.linux.com/feature/139742

HTH

Keith Roberts