[CentOS-virt] libvirt, xen PV, qemu-system-i386, root user

Sun Sep 6 10:56:21 UTC 2015
Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik at iki.fi>

On Sun, Sep 06, 2015 at 09:08:50AM +0200, Karel Hendrych wrote:
> Hi, after migrating to libvirt/libxl according to:

Hi,

> https://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Xen/Xen4QuickStart/Xen4Libvirt
>
> I've noticed that my Xen PV domains are being launched by
> qemu-system-i386 running under root privileges.
>
> I am wondering why is this? Previously no qemu process was used.
>
> If qemu is needed for some reason, are there any guidelines for
> non-root operation?

In general qemu is used for the following purposes:

- for certain domU disk backend types (image files), and/or if there's no blktap driver in dom0 kernel.
- domU graphical console (PVFB) VNC server, if it's enabled for the domU.

> --
> Karel Hendrych

-- Pasi