[CentOS-virt] migrating from xend to libxl after xen

rgritzo rgritzo at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 22:02:54 UTC 2016

> > so i guess i was not paying too close attention and upgraded to xen 4.6.1 before i migrated my domU configurations to libxl :{
>
> Just FYI, as a fall-back you can always move yourself to the Xen 4.4 "track" by:
> 1. Installing centos-release-xen-44
> 2. Removing centos-release-xen
> 3. "yum downgrade" all the Xen packages.
>
> This will switch you to repos which will only have Xen 4.4; and Johnny
> will be doing XSA backports until the 4.4 EOL in 2017.  You can
> upgrade to 4.6 again by either re-installing centos-release-xen (which
> will update to the latest automatically) or installing
> centos-release-xen-46 (which will stay on Xen 4.6).  (You can install
> multiple packages at the same time; yum will just choose the highest
> version available.)
ahh.  thanks.  i tried downgrading, but did not install centos-release-xen44 so the downgrade failed.  this makes sense now that i see that i would need to jump tracks.  thanks for suggesting it.

> > i have tried for a couple of hours this morning to find a way to do the conversion in a post xend world, but can’t seem to do it.
> > I still have all my disk images, and i see the domain config.sxp configuration files in /var/lib/xend/domains/<uuid> but i am not enough of a xen expert to figure out how to migrate those.
> >
> > is there a simple way to move to libxl now that xend is gone and i did not dump the xml files?
>
> So just checking -- the issue here is that you're not using the
> ".cfg"-style config files, but the sxp-style config files?  You're not
> using libvirt, is that right?
at the time i set all this up i don’t think i understood what i was doing very well.  i certainly am using libvirt (i use virsh and virt-manager), so i am not sure what fork in the road i took to wind up making sxp-style config files.  :}

> Unfortunately parsing sxp config files and running "managed domains"
> are one feature that was explicitly chose as something we wouldn't be
> supporting in xl going forward [1].  You'll probably have to do some
> sort of manual conversion.
>
>  -George
>
> [1] http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/XL#Anti-Features <http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/XL#Anti-Features>

got it.  i think i read thru that page too quickly before.

since the images are there, and all i need to do is to effectively reconfigure the domUs, i think i will do that manually.  that will accomplish two things:
a) force me to document how i set them up better, and
b) drive me to understand some aspects of this better…  :}

fortunately i had hosed up my dev host and dev VMs, and was smart enough to catch this mistake before i broke the production ones :}

thanks again for all the help.

r.

--
Russ Gritzo                            email:  rgritzo at gmail.com