[CentOS-virt] how to enable auto-start on newer versions of Xen ?

Tue Aug 23 19:59:10 UTC 2016
Craig Thompson <president at caldwellglobal.com>

PJ,

I didn't have virsh installed (libvirt-client).  After having installed it, it still didn't see the process:

virsh autostart testvm
error: failed to connect to the hypervisor
error: no valid connection
error: Failed to connect socket to '/var/run/libvirt/libvirt-sock': No such file or directory

Then, after having installed libvirt, it gives essentially the same error.

I was thinking that in iterations past, it was possible just to run the hypervisor, put a symlink in /etc/xen/auto, and VMs would be auto-started upon reboot.  Maybe I'm wrong, and maybe those older boxes had libvirt installed on them, too.

If I need to install libvirt, what does this mean overall?  What am I changing?  What other process needs to run or be started upon boot on a  CentOS 7.x box?

Thanks.

--

Craig Thompson, President

Caldwell Global Communications, Inc.