[CentOS-virt] virtio not installing correctly

isdtor isdtor at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 10:39:25 UTC 2016

I have converted a physical machine to kvm, following instructions on the proxmox wiki. So far so good. Now I'm attempting to convert the vm from ide to virtio following the instructions here, http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Boot_from_virtio_block_device, with virtio-win-stable from Fedora.

The guest is running Windows XP. When the new hardware wizard popped up finding the RedHat VirtIO SCSI controller, I pointed it to the viostor/xp directory on the iso. It appears as if all files have been copied, viostor.sys to C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS, the green progress bar goes all the way to the right, but it's been sitting there over night with no further progress.

There is a vioscsi directory on the iso, but it contains no drivers for XP.

>From a previous attempt, I know that if I reboot the vm now and try to enter safe mode, it will hang after loading the agp driver.

Host OS is CentOS 6.7.