[CentOS-virt] installing xen on c7

Peter peter at pajamian.dhs.org
Sat Feb 27 12:16:02 UTC 2016

On 28/02/16 00:04, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> i had to do something similar, but my question is - one cant run xen
> without the kernel, so why not have the xen package require the xen
> kernel as a prereq ?

You can run Xen on any Xen dom0-enabled kernel.  While the stock CentOS
kernel does not qualify as such there are kernels available for CentOS
other than the Xen4CentOS kernel which do, such as kernel-ml from
elrepo.  To require the Xen4CentOS kernel would cause issues if someone
wanted to use a different dom0-enabled kernel.

Peter