[CentOS-virt] virtio not installing correctly

Zoltan Frombach

zoltan at frombach.com
Tue Feb 2 11:57:03 UTC 2016

On 2/2/2016 12:05 PM, isdtor wrote:
> Zoltan Frombach writes:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I did many physical (Windows) to virtual (kvm) conversions before. The
>> instructions in general are good here:
>> http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Boot_from_virtio_block_device , so yes, you
>> must add a dummy ("fake") 2nd disk drive to the guest first, boot up the
>> guest, install the virtio drivers to that 2nd virtual HDD and after that you
>> can shutdown the guest, remove the dummy drive from the guest's config and
>> switch the original 1st disk's setting from IDE to virtio. The whole reason
>> for adding a 2nd dummy disk is the ability to install the virtio driver
>> inside Windows while it is booted up from an IDE disk.
> Yes, I understand the process and am following it. But XP is throwing a spanner in the works here by not completing the viostor installation process. Should I maybe try with latest rather than stable (.112 vs. .102)?

I'm not sure if that is going to make any difference. I use the latest
myself ( .112 )

Are you sure that the spinning wheel is not caused by the driver driver
signature verification? Maybe try to upgrade the "root certificates" via
Windows Updates first. Or try to disable driver signature checking
temporarily:
https://support.hidemyass.com/hc/en-us/articles/202723596-How-to-disable-Driver-Signing-check-on-Windows
I definitely had this driver signature problem with an old Windows 7 a
couple of weeks ago. In Windows 7, I didn't get a forever spinning
wheel, instead it popped up an error message.

Zoltan