[CentOS-virt] Mouse and display issues with Windows 10 guest

Sun Feb 7 21:56:29 UTC 2016
Robert Nichols <rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net>

On 01/26/2016 01:51 PM, Robert Nichols wrote:
 > Anyone managed to get a Windows 10 guest running well under
 > qemu/kvm? I can get it up and running, but there is a major issue
 > with losing use of the mouse, plus my display resolution is stuck at
 > 1024x768.
 >
 > The mouse will work for a short time (a few seconds to a few
 > minutes), but then stops responding. That's with the mouse coming in
 > as the recommended QEMU tablet device. I can assign a USB mouse to
 > the guest as a USB host device, but it also stops responding after a
 > short time. At least with the USB mouse I can remove it from the
 > guest and then reassign it again. That gives me use of the mouse, but
 > again only for a short time. Trying run Windows 10 from just a
 > keyboard is an exercise in frustration.
 >
 > I can't get Windows 10 to believe that any screen resolution besides
 > 1024x768 is available. That's the case both with VNC/vga and
 > Spice/qxl. This is in contrast with Windows 7, which offers a good
 > selection of resolutions with VNC/vga.

Well, I got the mouse problem solved. I finally ran across
<http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/131942/qemu-2-0-windows-guest-mouse-stops-working-vnc-when-using-usb-passthrough>
and followed the instructions to go into the power settings for
the tablet device and remove the check mark on "Allow the computer
to turn off this device to save power." Presto! No more mouse
problems.

I've still got to figure out how to get a display bigger than
1024x768, but fiddling with that should be a lot easier with
a working mouse.

                 Do NOT delete it.