[CentOS-virt] CentOS 6 Virt SIG Xen 4.6 packages available in centos-virt-xen-testing

Peter peter at pajamian.dhs.org
Thu Jan 21 12:01:44 UTC 2016

On 15/01/16 05:57, George Dunlap wrote:
> As mentioned yesterday, Xen 4.6 packages are now available for
> testing.  These also include an update to libvirt 1.3.0, in line with
> what's available for CentOS 7.  Please test, particularly the upgrade
> if you can, and report any problems here.

Per conversation in IRC, Xen 4.6 no longer includes xend and therefore
no longer has the "xm" command.  This is problematic for people who may
be using xm in various scripts on their host (such as home-brewed backup
scripts).

I think it's a bad idea to break this functionality without warning by
allowing a simple "yum update" to remove it.  You will take a lot of
people by surprise and cause such scripts to stop working, if people are
running yum cron the situation becomes even worse.

I think that due to this lack of backwards compatibility with Xen 4.4
and earlier versions it would be a good idea to not force the upgrade on
people who are not wary of it.  I propose that the new packages carry
the name "xen46" and they purposefully conflict with the old "xen"
packages.  That will require people to take positive action to do the
upgrade and hence avoid breaking systems unintentionally.

Peter