[CentOS-virt] CentOS 6 Virt SIG Xen 4.6 packages available in centos-virt-xen-testing

Thu Jan 21 15:22:45 UTC 2016
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 01/21/2016 08:02 AM, George Dunlap wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 1:28 PM, Phill Bandelow <phill at onapp.com> wrote:
>> Well when the last upgrade 4.2 > 4.4 went live and XM was disabled by
>> default it took many hosts down without warning. 4.4 > 4.6  may cause the
>> same issues. It's a dangerous upgrade for sure. Why can't 4.4 be LTS for C6?
>> as it's the last build with XM. Any XSA patches should not be hard to
>> backport. and maybe the optional xen4.6 for C6.

They started bringing this up before the 4.4 release .. that one had to
move from xm to xl.  They also gave instructions:
from the wiki:

Xen-4.4 and libxl

Note: All versions of Xen before version 4.4 had xm and xend enabled by
default. The xen-4.4.1 (and newer) rpms instead enable xl support and no
longer use xend. Please see /MigratingToXl for details on how to migrate
from em rpms older than 4.4.1 to the new version

Here is the link to /MigratingToXl

https://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Xen/Xen4QuickStart/MigratingToXl

So, I would say people need to migrate to xl anyway.

> It's not a huge amount, but it is definitely time that I (and my
> employer) would prefer to spend on other things.
>
> As I've said elsewhere, this is a community project -- so if someone
> wants to step up and maintain Xen 4.4 for CentOS 6, they are welcome.
> I do agree that it shouldn't be a huge amount of work for someone to
> pick this up, now that I've got the basic setup.  (And I'll definitely
> still be around to help.)
>
> If someone wanted to step up and maintain the 4.4 xen packages, I'd be
> happy to hand that off, and just have xen46 for C6 and xen (v 4.6) for
> C7.

Well, the problem with that is xenproject.org does not maintain their
old releases forever either.

How long will they release patches to 4.4?

It is already listed as unsupported, with 4.5 and 4.6 the only supported
versions.

They have been releasing 4.4 patches recently .. not sure how much
longer that will happen.  Once they stop putting out 4.4 patches for
XSAs, then it becomes difficult as the things they release for 4.5/4.6
will not necessarily work on 4.4 or below.

George, do you know?