[CentOS-virt] Hostname inside lxc container

Fri Jan 22 12:24:31 UTC 2016
C. L. Martinez <carlopmart at gmail.com>

On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 6:25 PM, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn
<dennisml at conversis.de> wrote:
> On 21.01.2016 15:44, C. L. Martinez wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>>  I have installed a CentOS6 lxc guest under a Debian 8.x LXC host. All
>> it is working ok but I can't change the hostname for the centos6 lxc
>> container (it is using the same hostname from Debian host). I have
>> modifyed HOSTNAME under /etc/sysconfig/network and /etc/hosts file,
>> but it doesn't works.
>>
>>  Do I need to change anything else??
>
> These Files only persist the hostname. To actually set it live you have
> to call "hostname <hostname>". Your shell prompt will not change unless
> you log out and log in again though simply executing "hostname" without
> parameters should output the correct name right away.
>
> Keep in mind though that setting the hostname in a container requires
> explicit support for the UTS namespace on the host:
>
> http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man7/namespaces.7.html
>
> If the host doesn't support the UTS namespace for its guests or this
> feature is not configured for the guest in question then setting the
> hostname in the guest is not possible.
>
> Regards,

Thanks Dennis. I have tried to fix using "hostname" command but after
reboot, returns to be the same hostname as Debian host. Debian kernel
has UTS enabled ...