[CentOS-virt] LVM mirror database to ramdisk

Sat Jan 23 15:27:55 UTC 2016
Robert Nichols <rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net>

On 01/22/2016 11:02 AM, Ed Heron wrote:
>    I'm still running CentOS 5 with Xen.
>
>    We recently replaced a virtual host system board with an Intel
> S1400FP4, so the host went from a 4 core Xeon with 32G RAM to a 6 core
> Xeon with 48G RAM, max 96G.  The drives are SSD.
>
>    I was recently asked to move an InterBase server from Windows 7 to
> Windows Server.  The database is 30G.
>
>    I'm speculating that if I put the database on a 35G virtual disk and
> mirror it to a 35G RAM disk, the speed of database access might improve.

If that were running under Linux rather than Windows I'd suggest just
giving that extra 35GB to its kernel and letting its normal caching
keep everything in RAM. Whether Windows (7 or Server) would be clever
enough to do that is another question. Of course you could just let
the Linux host do the caching, but that runs the risk of other VMs
or host activity displacing some of that cache and affecting the
performance of your database VM.

                 Do NOT delete it.