[CentOS-virt] [CentOS-devel] docker and docker-latest packages on CentOS Virt SIG

Mon Jun 13 11:23:15 UTC 2016
Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com>

On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 6:39 AM, George Dunlap <dunlapg at umich.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 9:11 PM, Lokesh Mandvekar
> <lsm5 at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>> Moving this discussion to centos-virt@ as it's upto the SIG to decide on
>> how this moves ahead.
>>
>> I'm hoping to have 2 new koji tag sets:
>>
>> virt7-docker-fedora-* (will have fedora rpms rebuilt)
>> virt7-docker-el-* (will have rhel candidate builds before they are released
>> or land in centos extras)
>>
>> The -el-* repos will help to have Virt SIG as sort of an upstream and early QA
>> for both RHEL and CentOS extras.
>>
>> If the SIG is ok with it, I'll check with CBS guys to create these 2 tags.
>>
>> See below message to centos-devel@ and
>> http://centos-devel.1051824.n5.nabble.com/CentOS-devel-docker-and-docker-latest-packages-on-CentOS-Virt-SIG-td5712734.html
>> for background
>
> I think having the RHEL version makes sense; but I'm not sure exactly
> what we gain from having a version labelled "fedora".  If someone
> wanted the Fedora docker, why wouldn't they just install Fedora?  And
> if in this case "Fedora" really just stands for "Recently stable
> docker", then we should probably just come up with another name for it
> that describes it better (even if in the end it turns out to be a
> straight re-building of the Fedora RPM).

I pesonally do this kind of backporting, a *lot* with Perl and Python
modules. They're often sadly out of date on a RHEL production grade
system, but switching to a Fedora base for your production
environments can get really flakey, really fast due to the immense
churn of that operating system.