[CentOS-virt] USB3 driver?

Phil Wyett

philwyett at irregulars-engineering.com
Sat Mar 5 03:03:43 UTC 2016

On Fri, 2016-03-04 at 13:35 -0800, ToddAndMargo wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Scientific Linux 7.2
>
> # rpm -qa \*kvm\*
> qemu-kvm-1.5.3-105.el7_2.3.x86_64
> pcp-pmda-kvm-3.10.6-2.el7.x86_64
> qemu-kvm-common-1.5.3-105.el7_2.3.x86_64
> libvirt-daemon-kvm-1.2.17-13.el7_2.3.x86_64
>
> Question: when I set "Controller USB" to "USB3", what
> USB3 driver do I use to install Window 7?
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

Hi,

These days when creating and installing Windows virtual machines, I tend
to use ISO images for the install process.

Windows 7 ISO images can be downloaded from:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows7

If you wished to skip 7 and go with a clean install of Windows 10 and
use your 7 key, you can get 10 ISO images from:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10ISO

With regard choosing USB. I choose USB 3 for Windows virtual machines as
I have been getting locks when selecting and using the USB 2 setting.

The drivers for your Windows guest should/will be primarily VirtIO.
These can be downloaded from:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Windows_Virtio_Drivers#Direct_download

A note on your previous mail. I have had issues adding USB devices (e.g.
USB sticks) in running virtual machines. Removing any USB redirectors
fixed it for me.

Regards

Phil Wyett