[CentOS-virt] Networking in KVM

Thu Mar 17 21:47:03 UTC 2016
Digimer <lists at alteeve.ca>

On 17/03/16 04:47 PM, paul.greene.va at verizon.net wrote:
> Thanks, I followed the 2nd article, and it got the existing virtual
> machines communicating with each other.
>
> However, any new virtual machines I created after making the changes
> can't communicate with anything, they can't even get out to the
> internet, even if I manually set the IP address info. Any suggestions on
> that?
>
> Paul

Check that they're using your static bridge. 'virsh dumpxml <vm>' will
have a section like:

====
    <interface type='network'>
      <mac address='52:54:00:71:20:fa'/>
      <source network='bcn_bridge1' bridge='bcn_bridge1'/>
      <target dev='vnet2'/>
      <model type='e1000'/>
      <alias name='net2'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x05'
function='0x0'/>
    </interface>
====

That tells you that the interface is MAC '52:54:00:71:20:fa' is "plugged
in" to the bridge 'bcn_bridge1'. If that doesn't connect to the right
bridge, then you need to change it (virt-manager has a simple to use GUI
for this, or you can use 'virsh edit <vm>' if you're comfortable editing
XML).

--
Digimer
access to education?