[CentOS-virt] CentOS-7 x86_64 AMIs and consistent network device naming

Jinesh Choksi jinesh.choksi at algomi.com
Fri Nov 4 11:18:22 UTC 2016

Hello,

Re:
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7-Beta/html/7.3_Release_Notes/bug_fixes_general_updates.html

Are there any upcoming plans for turning off the use of legacy interface
names in the next official CentOS 7.x AMI?

Currently, both the official RHEL 7.3 GA AMI and the latest available
official CentOS-7 x86_64 AMI use legacy interface names via either:

- "net.ifnames=0" kernel boot parameter
or
- "ln -vs /dev/null /etc/udev/rules.d/80-net-setup-link.rules"

As I'm setting up some automation which will use the official CentOS 7 AMI,
I'm wondering whether to switch on the new naming scheme manually and
pre-empt the switch over or wait until the official AMIs switch over.

Also, will the next CentOS 7 AMI start using NetworkManager instead of the
traditional ifcfg-* scripts?

Regards,
Jinesh