[CentOS-virt] Clocksource boot issues 4.9.13

George Dunlap dunlapg at umich.edu
Mon Apr 3 09:20:52 UTC 2017

On Sun, Apr 2, 2017 at 9:22 PM, Sarah Newman <srn at prgmr.com> wrote:
> On 04/02/2017 02:49 AM, Chris Elliott wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> I’ve got a few Intel Z87 chipset machines with Adaptec 5405 raid cards (latest firmware), they work fine on 3.18 but during Dom0 boot using kernel
>> 4.9.13 it hangs at “Using clocksource tsc” and the aacraid driver keeps trying to reset
>>
>> Has anyone seen anything like this?
>>
>> I’ve tried specifying clocksource=xen in grub instead of the default of tsc, and that has the same issue. HPET is enabled and Xen is seeing it:
>>
>> (XEN) ACPI: HPET D9649CB0, 0038 (r1 ALASKA    A M I  1072009 AMI.        5) (XEN) Platform timer is 14.318MHz HPET
>
> I saw a hang at a similar place in the boot process when trying to boot xen-on-xen for our test system. On a hunch I was going to to try recompiling
> without the PVHVM PCI related driver (pci-platform ? platform-pci ? ) before saying anything about it.
>
> Since you tried changing the clock source I'm wondering is that the boot issue is unrelated to the clock source, in which case you may get a better
> idea of what's hanging by comparing the boot logs from 3.18 to 4.9 and seeing what's present in 3.18 but not in 4.9. Presumably the messages in the
> 3.18 but not 4.9 logs are either removed from the kernel source or happen after whatever is hanging.

The Xen-on-xen thing is a specific problem with nested Xen; I asked on
xen-devel and was pointed to this commit.

Unfortunately it's pretty unlikely this one will help Chris.

But perhaps, Chris, if you follow my example and post a bug report to
xen-devel (with serial output from Xen and the guest kernel), someone
may be able to find a patch which fixes the problem.

 -George