[CentOS-virt] Xen C6 kernel 4.9.13 and testing 4.9.15 only reboots.

Wed Apr 5 15:42:35 UTC 2017
PJ Welsh <pjwelsh at gmail.com>

On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 11:13 AM, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:

> On 03/28/2017 04:55 PM, PJ Welsh wrote:
> > The mystery gets more interesting... I now have a CentOS 7.3 Dell R710
> > server doing the exact same thing of rebooting immediately after the Xen
> > kernel load. Just to note this is a second system and not just the first
> > system with an update. I hope I'm not introducing something odd. They
> > only "interesting" thing I have done for historical reasons is to change
> > the following /etc/sysconfig/grub line:
> > GRUB_CMDLINE_XEN_DEFAULT="dom0_mem=6G,max:8G cpuinfo com1=115200,8n1
> > console=com1,tty loglvl=all guest_loglvl=all"
> > But I've done that on other servers without issue. In fact I have a Dell
> > R710 that DOES work with CentOS 7 and the new kernel... so confused.
> >
> > On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 1:44 PM, Sarah Newman <srn at prgmr.com
> > <mailto:srn at prgmr.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     On 03/24/2017 11:35 AM, PJ Welsh wrote:
> >     > As a follow up I was able to test fresh install on Dell R710 and a
> Dell
> >     > R620 with success on CentOS 7.3 without issue on the new kernel.
> My new
> >     > plan will be to just move this C6 to one of the C7 I just created.
> >
> >     That sounds like a compiler problem, since I think the C6 and C7
> >     kernels are built from the same source.
> >

> OK, I have a new CentOS-6 4.9.20-26 kernel here for testing:
>
> https://people.centos.org/hughesjr/4.9.16/6/x86_64/
>
> I am building the el7 one right now as well, it will be at:
>
> https://people.centos.org/hughesjr/4.9.16/7/x86_64/
>
> George and I found some issues with the 4.9.x config files for the xen
> kernel.  Hopefully this one is much more stable as it has many changes
> from the fedora/rhel type configs now (what is built into the kernel,
> what is loaded as a kernel module, etc.)
>
> Please test these kernels so we can get them released.
>
> Thanks,
> Johnny Hughes

CentOS-6 4.9.20-26 kernel exhibits the same constant
kernel-start-then-reboot issue when booting under the "CentOS Linux, with
Xen hypervisor" grub2 menu option. However, it *does* properly boot under
the "CentOS Linux (4.9.20-25.el7.x86_64) 7 (Core)" grub2 menu option!

A semi-close look at the /etc/grub2.cfg yields no discernible difference
between a properly functional Dell R620 and the non-properly functioning
Dell R710.

Sorry, I had been distracted with other issues and have not yet submitted
information to the xen-devel group yet.

Thanks
PJ