[CentOS-virt] Running graphical applications from CentOS headless vm

Sun Feb 26 22:25:12 UTC 2017
Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com>

On Sun, Feb 26, 2017 at 1:49 AM, C. L. Martinez <carlopmart at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>  I have installed a CentOS7 vm in my home server with all graphical tools installed: Gnome, Chrome, Tor Borwser, etc. My idea is to run these graphical applications from two MacOSX desktops. What I am looking for is something similar like Microsoft RDP services that supports copy and paste between client and server, sound, clipboard, etc ...
>
>  I have seen a possible solution using xrdp: http://www.xrdp.org. But exists some other solution??

MacOS has an X server built in. You should be able to log into the VM
using ssh, with X forwarding enabled, and run graphical commands,
logged in from MacOS, that display locally on the MacOS host. The
mention of RDP is, I think, confusing people.

If you decide to, there are are also other tools that provide a more
full "give me the graphical desktop" setup, These include VNC, for
which you could run vncserver on the CentOS host and a vncclient or
compatible tool on the MacOS. If you're going to have multiple people
accessing the host and want better management of all the X sessions,
you could even consider the www.nomachine.com tools, which are free
for private use and which allow better throttling of numbers of users,
and allowing you to kill all the *other* sessions owned by you to free
up resources.