[CentOS-virt] NIC Stability Problems Under Xen 4.4 / CentOS 6 / Linux 3.18

Kevin Stange

kevin at steadfast.net
Mon Mar 27 21:12:18 UTC 2017

On 03/27/2017 04:03 PM, Kevin Stange wrote:

>>> I'm ready to call this conclusive.  The problems I was having across the
>>> board seemed to be caused by something seriously broken in 3.18.  Most
>>> of my servers are now on 4.9.13 or newer and everything has been working
>>> very well.
>>>
>>> I'm not going to post any further updates unless something breaks.
>>> Thanks to everyone that provided tips and suggestions along the way.
>>>

>> Do you mind sharing what hardware have you been running the 4.9 kernel on other than "Supermicro X9DRT, Dual Xeon E5-2650, 2x I350, 2x 82571EB" and
>> "Supermicro X9DRD-iF/LF, Dual Xeon E5-2630, 2x I350, 2x 82575EB" if any? Are you using any SATA/SAS controllers?
>
> We have no expansion cards installed except for the dual-port gigabit
> NICs.  We're using the onboard SATA controller for only the local Dom0
> OS, and iSCSI and NFS for managing storage for VMs and images.

We've got some other motherboards as well, I think this list is exhaustive:

Supermicro X8DT3
Supermicro X8DT6
Supermicro X9DRD-iF/LF
Supermicro X9DRT
Supermicro X9SCL/X9SCM

These are -F variants which means they include a BMC chip with a
separate NIC.  A few of the X8DT3 are the LN4 variant, which has 4
onboard NICs and therefore we did not use an expansion NIC.

--
Kevin Stange
Chief Technology Officer