[CentOS-virt] What is the purpose setting console=hvc0 in the dom0 grub config?

Wed May 17 15:54:13 UTC 2017
Jerry <jerryubi at gmail.com>

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 8:44 AM, George Dunlap <dunlapg at umich.edu> wrote:

> On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 4:20 PM, Jerry <jerryubi at gmail.com> wrote:
> > This is what's defined in /etc/default/grub following the install of the
> > Xen:
> >
> > GRUB_CMDLINE_XEN_DEFAULT="dom0_mem=1024M,max:1024M cpuinfo
> com1=115200,8n1
> > console=com1,tty loglvl=all guest_loglvl=all"
> > GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_XEN_REPLACE_DEFAULT="console=hvc0 earlyprintk=xen
> > nomodeset"
> >
> > I didn't set these myself, this is what the xen package (or one of its
> > dependencies) is doing.
>
> It's the CentOS Xen package setting this.  But the Xen option
> "console=com1,tty" should make it such that Xen sends its output
> *both* to the serial line, *and* the monitor.
>
> I take it you're not seeing any Xen output at all on your IPMI console?
>
>  -George

The boot messages are suppressed, but if it boots successfully the login
prompt shows up. If I remove console=hvc0 both the boot messages and login
prompt show up.

Note: the IPMI console I'm looking at is just the local monitor being
redirected.  It isn't a special device/driver.

I'll try what Konrad is suggesting, setting this:

console=hvc0 console=tty

And will see what happens.  It'll be a few hours until I can try it out.

Thank you to every one that has responded, I appreciate the help.

Jerry.