[CentOS-virt] 4.4.4-26 with XSA-226, 227, 230 in centos-virt-testing

Kevin Stange kevin at steadfast.net
Tue Nov 28 17:24:41 UTC 2017

On 11/28/2017 10:11 AM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> Kevin has been rolling back the security updates to the 4.4 branch.  He
> has been working with some of the other distros (debian for sure, and
> some others on the xen security list).
>
> I think it is his intention to continue this for as long as he is able
> to. (Kevin, chime in if you have a schedule lifetime or EOL in mind)
>
> As long as Kevin (or anyone else) maintains the tree, I am happy to
> build them into the repos.
>
> On 11/28/2017 07:38 AM, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 04:02:46PM -0500, Kevin Stange wrote:
>>> Xen 4.4.4 along with kernel 4.9.44 containing patches for XSAs (226 -
>>> 230) from August 15th are now available in centos-virt-testing.  If
>>> possible, please test and provide feedback here so we can move these to
>>> release soon.
>>>
>>> XSA-228 did not affect Xen 4.4
>>> XSA-229 only applies to the kernel
>>>
>>> XSA-235 disclosed today only affects ARM and isn't going to be added to
>>> these packages.
>>>

>> Thanks for updating the Xen 4.4 branch! Are you still planning for additional updates there?

I will be continuing to attempt to support 4.4 backports as long as I
still have Xen 4.4 running in my own production environment, which will
be until at least early 2018, but probably longer.  I am currently in
early testing for migrating to newer Xen, but it's not close to ready
yet.  I should have a release containing XSA-246 and XSA-247 in the
testing repo later today, which will come up as version 4.4.4-32.

I wish I could provide more concrete EOL for planning purposes.
Obviously, if you have the option to migrate to Xen 4.6 or later (4.5 is
EOL in a few months) that's a good plan for a number of reasons.  I
expect we'll see Xen 4.8 in the SIG repos before too long as well.

--
Kevin Stange
Chief Technology Officer