[CentOS-virt] Apparent discontinuity between advertised centos7 release 1803_01 and content of centos-release file

mql

email at ej73.com
Thu Apr 19 17:11:59 UTC 2018

Hello,

I searched centos7 in the AWS marketplace for the at-time-of-writing-latest centos7 image: https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/pp/B00O7WM7QW?qid=1524138193326&sr=0-1&ref_=srh_res_product_title

I built a standard free tier t2.micro from this putative 1803_01 AMI.  I see from the docs, this is thus a March 2018 compilation.
When I get CLI, I get this:

[centos at ip-172-31-27-32 etc]$ cat centos-release
CentOS Linux release 7.4.1708 (Core)

which suggests that the AMI I just launched was built on a version of centos compiled from upstream sources in August 2017.
Does the release of centos7 on the marketplace sport a release version which does not pertain to the machine's release? Unlike with releases published outside AWS, the Centos <https://wiki.centos.org/Cloud/AWS> cloud page does not specify version info as listed on AWS.

Thanks v much IA,