[CentOS-virt] custom Xen on custom kernel on CentOS 7

Wed Feb 28 12:05:20 UTC 2018
George Dunlap <dunlapg at umich.edu>

On Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 3:50 PM, John Vetter <john.vetter at mail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to run an arbitrary Xen version (4.7.x) on a recent kernel (say,
> 4.13.x) on CentOS 7.
>
> What is the recommended way for doing this? (I am new to Xen and
> virtualization).
>
> I tried the following:
> 1. installed xen4centos.
> 2. built linux kernel 4.13.x and installed it (using make install)
> 3. built xen 4.7.x and installed it (using make install).
>
> grub2-mkconfig and grub-bootxen.sh don't seem to be picking up the
> combination of new kernel and new xen and making an entry in the grub.cfg
> file.

On systems with grub2, grub-bootxen.sh is tweaking the global grub2
config -- making sure Xen runs first, and adding some default
configuration.  Even without that, grub2-mkconfig should be creating
entries if the binaries exist.

Are you sure:
1. That your new kernel & hypervisor have installed binaries in /boot?
2. That grub2-mkconfig is writing the config to the proper directory?
(i.e., that, you're using the correct '-o' argument?)

 -George