[CentOS-virt] Xen 4.6.6-9 (with XPTI meltdown mitigation) packages making their way to centos-virt-xen-testing

Kevin Stange

kevin at steadfast.net
Wed Jan 24 00:20:39 UTC 2018

On 01/23/2018 05:57 PM, Karl Johnson wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 4:50 PM, Nathan March <nathan at gt.net
> <mailto:nathan at gt.net>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     > Hmm.. isn't this the ldisc bug that was discussed a few months ago on this
>     list,
>     > and a patch was applied to virt-sig kernel aswell?
>     >
>     > Call trace looks similar..
>
>     Good memory! I'd forgotten about that despite being the one who ran
>     into it.
>
>     Looks like that patch was just removed in 4.9.75-30 which I just
>     upgraded
>     this system to: http://cbs.centos.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=21122
>     <http://cbs.centos.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=21122>
>     Previously I was on 4.9.63-29 which does not have this problem, and does
>     have the ldisc patch. So I guess the question is for Johnny, why was it
>     removed?
>
>     In the meantime, I'll revert the kernel and follow up if I see any
>     further
>     problems.
>

> IIRC the patch has been removed from the spec file because it has been
> merged upstream in 4.9.71.

The IRC discussion I found in my log indicates that it was removed
because it didn't apply cleanly due to changes when updating to 4.9.75,
yet I don't think anyone independently validated that the changes made
are equivalent to the patch that was removed.  I was never able to
reproduce this issue, so I didn't investigate it myself.

--
Kevin Stange
Chief Technology Officer