[CentOS-virt] kernel 4.9.86-30 missing mpt2sas module

T.Weyergraf

T.Weyergraf at virtfinity.de
Tue Mar 6 15:27:05 UTC 2018

Hi

I am attempting to setup Xen 4.10 with kernel 4.9.86-30 (
virt7-xen-410-testing, virt7-common-testing ) on CentOS7
After installing everything, the machine was unable to boot and hung in
dracut stating it could not find its root device.

The testsystem I use is a somewhat aged Dell M915 Blade (Quad opteron
61xx), using an MPT SAS controller for it's SAS boot drives. Stock
CentOS 7 reports mpt2sas module being used to access the controller.
That module is not present in the modules directory of the 4.9.86:

4.9.86-30:
# pwd
/lib/modules/4.9.86-30.el7.x86_64
# find . -name "*mpt2*" -print
#

stock 3.10.0-693:
# pwd
/lib/modules/3.10.0-693.el7.x86_64
# find . -name "*mpt2*" -print
./kernel/drivers/scsi/mpt3sas/mpt2sas.ko.xz

The fun part is, that according to the shipped config, it should be there:
# grep MPT2 /boot/config-4.9.86-30.el7.x86_64
CONFIG_SCSI_MPT2SAS_MAX_SGE=128
CONFIG_SCSI_MPT2SAS=m

Any idea, what happened? I will try myself to build a new kernel from
the corresponding source package to check, what went wrong.

As a side note: anyone here, who tried that combo? I know, it's somewhat
cutting edge, but as I am finally looking into some sort of modern
Xen4CentOS setup to replace our aged setup in our infrastructure, i
thought i'd rather settle with something as new as possible to avoid
running into "not supported anymore soon" issues. Check hypervisor
support matrix on frontpage https://xenproject.org/

Regards
Thomas Weyergraf