[CentOS-virt] Xen Version update policy

George Dunlap

dunlapg at umich.edu
Mon Dec 16 11:47:57 UTC 2019

On Fri, Dec 13, 2019 at 12:32 AM Steven Haigh <netwiz at crc.id.au> wrote:

> On 2019-12-13 04:54, Kevin Stange wrote:
> > I don't want to burden Steven Haigh any, but I wonder if there's a way
> > we could combine some of our efforts to make both "Xen made easy!" and
> > the Virt SIG Xen easier to manage.
>
> I've been thinking about this for a while. The problem has been the
> workflows between myself and the SIG are so far apart, its hard to look
> at how to merge them.
>
> I have full CI between my own git and packages to the mirrors - which is
> good, but has its down sides. I also don't have the restrictions of the
> CentOS build system to deal with - which is great for my workflow ;)

AIUI Anthony's personal build script kicks off a CBS build, runs the
result in osstest (the upstream XenProject's CI system), then pushes
them to testing.

XenProject's CI system is more focused on interoperability with all
the other projects we interact with than on depth of coverage; but
that's just about right for the CentOS packages -- only the packaging
itself should really need to be tested.  Everything else should
already have been tested by upstream partners before the release.

IIRC from the last discussion we had, probably one of the more
annoyingly sticky issues is dealing with different configurations; in
particular different dom0 kernel configurations.  Any major changes
risks having one of our downstreams suddenly stop working.

 -George