[CentOS-virt] Azure Kernel for CentOS 7

Fri Oct 8 20:02:06 UTC 2021
Stephen A. Zarkos <steve at sentry.net>

Hello Greg,

On 10/8/21 12:30 PM, Young, Gregory wrote:
> I am trying to track down what happened with the “kernel-azure” packages
> that were created by the Virt SIG? I see the last release was August
> 2020.

The kernel was not built for CentOS 7.9, the key issue being that the
Azure kernel relies on Microsoft' Linux Integration Services (LIS)
patches[1] which have not been updated in some time either. In fact the
documentation states that the patches are supported up to CentOS 7.6,
but I was able to port through 7.8 as the changes were minor. But 7.9
was a bit bigger, and most changes from LIS already moved (slowly) into
upstream RHEL between 7.6 and now. Without official testing and support
from the upstream LIS it seemed less useful to try and do the port to 7.9.

> I also can’t seem to find the sources in the Virt repo
> (http://mirror.centos.org/centos/7/virt/x86_64/azure/Packages/k/
> <http://mirror.centos.org/centos/7/virt/x86_64/azure/Packages/k/>), nor
> in the CentOS git repo (https://git.centos.org/group/sig-virt
> <https://git.centos.org/group/sig-virt>).

I guess not all mirrors contain the source packages, but you can find
the srpms on vault.centos.org[2].

> I’m assuming the status is you no longer wish to build the Azure
> specific kernel, and I would like to see what was involved in doing so,
> to decide if I want to build them, or if I need to deprecate the Azure
> kernel for our appliances in the field.

I think the best option right now is to update to the latest
community-supported kernel from 7.9. However, if there is something
missing there or something you needed from LIS then feel free to reach
out to me directly and I'll try to help.

Thanks!
Steve

[1]: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=55106
[2]: https://vault.centos.org/7.8.2003/virt/Source/azure-kernel/