[Centos] Segmentation Fault when using dig, nslookup, host...

Wed Apr 28 08:25:43 UTC 2004
Tom DE BLENDE (GCC) <Tom.DeBlende at dhl.com>

Lance Davis wrote:

>>>Is this with the standard CentOS kernel ???
>>>
>>>Because it looks suspicously like the symptom of a non-nptl kernel being
>>>used ...
>>>

>>No, it is not. It's a 2.4.26... Sorry I forgot to mention that.
>>

>Well it wont work then.
>
>CentOS - like rhel - uses nptl based glibc, so the kernel needs to also
>support it.
>
>A Fedora kernel with nptl might be made to work - alternatively 2.6 is the
>way to go.
>
>Is there any particular reason not to use the stock kernel ???
>
>Regards
>Lance

Thanks for your quick and prompt replies, Lance. It is highly
appreciated. I will try and give 2.6 a go then.

Your question is valid though: why not use the stock kernel... I haven't
really thought about it that much. Until today when I install a new
Linux distro, I install the latest stable kernel and tune it for the
system at hand...

Thanks again for your help!
Tom