[Centos] Messing around with iptables

scty Library sctylib2004 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 12 15:37:42 UTC 2004

Hello all,

I am messing around with iptables, trying to learn how
it works so that I can build my self a router/firewall
and mabey a VPN. Anyway I tried to use a command on my
Desktop CentOS3 machine.

"iptables -A INPUT -s -p icmp -j DROP"

now the command seems to have went through because I
didn't get any errors, but when I go to ping
I am getting a response and my packet loss is 0%. It
should be 100% packet loss.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong.  I am not
trying  to do anything yet, just want to learn by

Thanks all.

Do you Yahoo!?