[Centos] Re: more about messing around with iptables

Rick Graves

gravesricharde at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 12 22:21:55 UTC 2004

Hey scty Library,

> I am messing around with iptables, trying to learn
how it works so that I can build my self a
router/firewall and mabey a VPN.

Oops! I forgot about that.

The LinWiz iptables wizards cannot help you, a
router/firewall/VPN application is too complicated for
them.

If you do not care about reinventing the wheel, then
proceed with your learning experience.

If you just want a router/firewall/VPN, look at
Smoothwall.  A mountain of effort and expertise has
been put into that dedicated firewall distribution,
and I suspect there is NO WAY anything you could do on
your own could come close.

But if your purpose is to have a learning experience,
then you are on the right track.

Rick

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004, scty Library wrote:

> I am messing around with iptables, trying to learn
how
> it works so that I can build my self a
router/firewall
> and mabey a VPN. Anyway I tried to use a command on
my
> Desktop CentOS3 machine.
>
> "iptables -A INPUT -s 127.0.0.1 -p icmp -j DROP"
>
> now the command seems to have went through because I
> didn't get any errors, but when I go to ping
127.0.0.1