[Centos] more about: migration center

John Newbigin jn at it.swin.edu.au
Fri Aug 13 06:35:43 UTC 2004

Rick Graves wrote:

> John,
> I did not hear back from you right away.  Maybe doing
> all the combinations is too big a job for one person.
> It might work if we split them up.
Details of each procedure should be split up but we need somewhere to
collect all the info.  I don't think we need to rush it.

I started a web page to collect my ideas

Obviously it is just a start.  I thinking a semi intelligent 'wizard'
where you select your current OS and either acceptable upgrade methods
OR target OS and it will spit out the procedure.

Each procedure could have a forum where people can contribute feedback,
like they do with the php manual.

I think a plan of attack is to collect information while we wait for the
new web site to appear.  Hopefully that will minimize duplication of effort.

> I could do these two:
> RedHat 9   -> reinstall CentOS-3.1
> RedHat 9   -> live update to CentOS-3.1
I think this will be a popular procedure so it would be good to have
this well documented.  I know there is some information on this already
though I have not tried it out.

Another thing I might have a play with is a family tree.  That might
help people see the differences between versions.