[Centos] *very* raw script for a new email server

Ryan Sweet rsweet at aoes.com
Wed Dec 8 15:34:49 UTC 2004

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004, Benjamin J. Weiss wrote:

> All,
>
> I'm putting up a new email server, but I can't afford downtime when I
> switch servers.  So, I've been writing a script that will take a CentOS
> install and turn it into a secure email server with Spam Assassin,
> Amavis-new, ClamAV and external relay using SASL authentication.
>
> The script is still *very* raw, and I'm relatively new to bash script
> writing.  I still have some areas of work to do:

If you are new to bash, or programming in general, I think you might find
learning python is more specifically suited to the task, and more powerful.

However bash can work quite nicely for a lot of things ;-)

> - I need to figure out how to automate the certificate generation.  Right
> now I still have to type in a password at the prompt, as well as hit
> <enter> to accept the defaults

have you looked at "expect"?  It is designed for this sort of operation.
There are modules for python or perl both, and I imagine you could also get it
to work from the shell.  We have scripts for apache ssl cert generation that
use pyexpect.

> - Some of my sed commands are kludgy.  I'm still learning the ins and outs
> of sed

If you are doing search/replace filters, many sed commands can be replaced
from the shell with perl's re interpreter by doing:
 	perl -pi.orig -e 's/search-this/replace-with-this/' filename
which is more overhead, buts lets you make a backup file (named
filename.orig), and gives you the power of perl's re engine, which is arguably
more forgiving in syntax than sed.