[Centos] Some questions regarding CEntos

Max Beerli

maxbeerli at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 13 06:58:58 UTC 2004

Hello list. I am assigned the task to select a RHEL3 clone operating system
for a couple of servers. So far I have found Whitehat Linux, Tao, Scientific
Linux and Centos. I like the community developed aspect advantage of Centos
compared to the other distros where one or couple people maintain the
operating system.

- Is this a long term goal project? How does it sustain itself? How much
extra money is usually required on a monthly basis for operations? I noticed
that developers had to pay for hosting costs when new iso images were
released. Wouldn't using bittorrent cut down on downloading costs?

- How does Centos compare to other RHEL clones? Are there enough developers
to quickly update packages when Redhat makes security announcements?

- Do Centos developers have access to RHEL3 machines or is everything done
on Centos computers? For that matter do developers compile the Redhat
released SRPMS + updates on RHEL computers or are binary RPM packages built
on Centos operating system itself? I am asking because it would seem to me
that using a full Redhat provided distro to build packages might introduce
less erorrs?

- What is changed from official RHEL releases besides the copyrighted logos
for each Centos release? I am not talking about packages in the addons
directories. Just the base os release packages.

Many thank yous.Max.

SmartScreen Technology.
first two months FREE*.