[Centos] Issues/thoughts re CentOS-4

Max Beerli maxbeerli at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 15 05:54:19 UTC 2004

>From: donavan nelson <donavan at 4wx.net>
>CC: centos at caosity.org
>Subject: Re: [Centos] Issues/thoughts re CentOS-4
>Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 15:27:28 -0600

>>>That sounds really complicated. How about a "mirror-select" script
>>>that's run when you run yum  update for the first time?
>>
>>This is really good idea!
>
>This is a really BAD idea.  Mirrors come and go, mirrors stop rsyncing, but
>have outdated data.
>
>I'd rather have a centralized authority hand out a "best guess" mirror than
>have someone pick a mirror at setup and thing they are covered.

Then how about centralized server or system keeps statistics on all mirrors.
Make sure mirrors is updated, available and amount of bandwidth available.
How does sourceforge do this? When you go to download a file it changes
links to most available or closest server. Then a mirror script on new
Centos installation gets run on first yum update so it contacts statisitics
server which tells it based on location and all other variables which mirror
should be used. It outputs the mirror address to screen where user can add
it to yum.conf

Take charge with a pop-up guard built on patented Microsoft® SmartScreen
Technology.
first two months FREE*.