[Centos] Centos as a desktop

C.M. Connelly cmc at math.hmc.edu
Thu Dec 16 21:11:21 UTC 2004

"JGG" == Jesús García González <jesus at ceinpet.cupet.cu>
"JRW" == Jacob Robert Wilkins <jrw at nplus1.net>

    JGG> What are the disadvantages (if any) of using CentOS as a
    JGG> desktop (as it is seen more like a server oriented distro
    JGG> being a clone of RHEL)

    JRW> It makes a decent desktop.  Make sure you add in Dag's
    JRW> repository,

Hmm.  We run CentOS 3 as a desktop OS here in a couple of labs and
on faculty labs with no real complaints.  I do have a bunch of
additional packages that I build and install, but most of those
are TeX related (newer teTeX from Fedora, gv, AUC-TeX, kile,

Now, *I* build and run Garnome on my workstation, but most users
are reasonably happy with the standard interface.  I do also give
them XMMS, but only faculty have disk space available for music
files (and there aren't any encoders).  And we have a newer
Mozilla, Firefox, Acrobat Reader, and so forth, as well as MATLAB,
Maple, and other math software.

It definitely works for us.

  Claire Connelly                              cmc at math.hmc.edu
  Systems Administrator                          (909) 621-8754
  Department of Mathematics                 Harvey Mudd College