[Centos] httpd trademark issue -- here it is!

Rick Graves gravesricharde at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 20 17:18:48 UTC 2004

Michael,

> Clearly, 1 < 2, so the latter is the newer package.

Thanks, I am clear on that.  My code was sometimes not
working right.  I simplified and clarified it, and it
is working right now -- at least on the httpd
versions, and I hope on everything else.

> It's not a straight string compare; if it
> were, 2.0.46 would
> seem to be a higher version than 2.0.127.

Thanks for the heads up on this point.  My code is not
this sophisticated.

I am not sure I need to even worry about comparisons
on this level.  My program is most concerned about
when a *different* version appears on the public
mirrors.  So 2.0.46 would be different than 2.0.127,
and my logic presumes the one that appears after
supercedes the one that appeared before.

At this point, I have not yet tackled removing
obsolete versions.  I leave it up to yum to decide
which is "newer" for its purposes.  Basically, my plan
was to remove a version after it disappears from the
public mirrors, and after it has been superceded by
something that appeared later.

Thanks for bringing up the point about 2.0.46 vs.
2.0.127; I will want to keep this in mind going
foward.

Rick