[Centos] kernel panic on upgrade

Brett Moss brettsspot at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 29 05:35:26 UTC 2004

I'm having some troubles with upgrades.  I've followed
the instructions from Owl River on moving from Redhat
8 to Redhat 9 and then to Centos.
The 8 to 9 works well on all machines, and the 9 to
Centos went well for a laptop.  The 9 to Centos fails
with a kernel panic on two machines.  This is right
after the first part of the upgrade, upgrading rpm,
kernel and kernel-smp.

EXT3-fs: unable to read superblock
mount: error 22 mounting ext3

I believe these are the lines from the machine(s).
Both troubled servers are dual pentium II 450's with
adaptec 19160 scsi cards, running a software raid 1
and booting from sda1 _not_ the mirror with grub.
I have been able to boot back into the Redhat 9 kernel
with no troubles.
These are production boxes, so I'm a bit hesitant to
do anything drastic, hence the email to the list.
I'd sure appreciate any direction you all might be
able to give.

Thank you,

Do You Yahoo!?