[Centos] Problems migrating from WBEL

Thu Dec 30 09:29:38 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-30 at 00:03 -0500, Jason Dixon wrote:
> Hi folks:
>
> I've recently migrated one of my production servers (bad Jason!) from
> WBEL to CentOS 3.3 using Donavan's instructions in the FAQ
> (http://www.centos.org/modules/smartfaq/faq.php?faqid=19).  While it
> was as painless as the document suggests, I've run into problems with
> postgrey (a postfix greylisting daemon) on my server.  Whenever I try
> to start postgrey, I get the following error (trimmed from maillog):
>
> ERROR: can't create DB environment: No such file or directory
>
> A little research led me to find the error was caused by a call to
> BerkeleyDB::Env->new() in postgrey.  I can recreate it in a simple Perl
> one-liner:
>
> perl -e 'use BerkeleyDB; my $db = BerkeleyDB::Env->new() or die "blah";'
>
> This leads me to believe that something is wrong with db4, so I
> upgraded (--force) to the CentOS db4 package.  Unfortunately, this had
> no effect.  Speaking with Dag in IRC a couple nights back, he believes
> my only recourse may be to "pin" my apt sources and attempt to upgrade
> all of my WBEL-based packages to their CentOS counterparts.  I would
> really like to avoid this;  if necessary, I think I'd prefer to try and
> upgrade from the 3.3 ISO.
>
> Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on this?

I've upgraded more than a dozen machines from WBEL to CentOS-3 ... and I
haven't had any problems.  I don't have the perl module "BerkeleyDB.pm"
on any of my machines though...nor is it on my CentOS-4beta "Full
Install" machine that I use as a build machine for CentOS-4beta.  What
package installs it?