[Centos] kernel update with yum - no grub entry

Fri Dec 10 20:01:17 UTC 2004
Paul Pianta <pantz at lqt.ca>

Hi people

I am new to this list - actually I am one of (probably) a few who are
jumping ship from WBEL. I feel like a bit of a scab jumping over at this
time - but we all make mistakes eh?

I have installed CentOS and ran 'yum update' and installed everything it
prompted me for. After a reboot, I realised I had booted into the same
original kernel-2.4.21-20.EL.c0smp and not the updated one -
kernel-2.4.21-20.0.1.ELsmp.

Upon further inspection I found that there was no entry made in
grub.conf for the new kernel, and there is no initrd in /boot for this
new kernel.

Could someone please explain what has happened and whether it is normal
behaviour or not? I am used to updating a kernel with yum and having all
of the grub stuff done automatically for me :/ Now that I might have to
do it manually myself I am getting all sooky and so came to this list to
cry for help (and coz I'm a lazy bastard!).

So ...

--
pAntZ

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when
you do criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes!