[Centos] Issues/thoughts re CentOS-4

Tue Dec 14 06:22:21 UTC 2004
John Newbigin <jn at it.swin.edu.au>

This is a list of issues for discussion for CentOS-4.  Most of it is
based on my experience from building/maintaining CentOS-2 and observing
CentOS-3.  I have not seen the CentOS-4 beta yet so I don't know if any
of this is already done.  If these have been discussed on IRC then
perhaps someone could produce a shot summary of the outcomes....?

* Just call it CentOS-4 not 4.1 etc.  Too confusing and serves no real
purpose

* All modified rpm should use mezzanine or equiv.  This makes it easier
to track changes, build updates and generate a report on what has changed.

* Modified rpm should have .c4.n added to the release
- c4 = centos 4.  (works well once the 4.1 is dropped)
- .n = a number starting at 1.  The spec only 0 does not scale if you
need to make another spec only change.  The changelog will tell you what
has changed.

* Mission: To stay as close to RedHat as possible
Issues: some things need to be modified to support this.  For example
the cpu/memory restrictions will be removed(like in CentOS-3).  Given
that we are doing this, should we also lift other artificial constraints
like installing on i386?

If we start making changes, where do we draw the line?  In CentOS-2 I
have fixed some small 1 line bugs (mostly packaging issues) but this
might be a contentious issue.  What about a CentOS+ repo. for enhanced
versions?

* Issue: should the distro be self hosting?  I think as long as the
requirements are available from the addon/extras repos. then I don't
think this is needed out of the box.  Obviously the build environment
needs to be well documented and reproducible.

* Mission: Remove RedHat trademarks.
Issues: should we replace all rh logos/icons or just the ones required
by RedHat?  I think if the file/words can be replaced then yes, but
package names etc. should be left alone.

* Issue: yum
Don't ever auto-modify yum.conf.  Too confusing.
Invent a system for selecting/allocating a mirror.  Users should always
use a 3rd party mirror and not the main caosity mirrors.
Issue: every mirror has different paths.  We need to clean up all the
symlinks and multi versions on the mirrors.  (We need someone in change
of the mirrors)

* Issue: gpg key.
This should be installed by default so the user does not have to find &
import it.  At a minimum it should be in /usr/share/doc/centos-release
and work like a RedHat box.

* Issue: release QA
Before public release, a QA procedure should make sure that there are no
obvious problems (like the comps issue of 3.3).

* Idea: automatic patch building.
It should be possible to build most patches without intervention.  I
don't know what the current systems in place are but if there were
autobuilt unsigned patches available it would allow
- testing of patches before they are 'officially' released
- checking the progress if a patch

Using an automatic system to apply CentOS specific modifications means
that in some cases, the CentOS specific changes can also be autoapplied
and the package build.

Obviously before a package is officially released, someone needs to
check that it is correct and works etc.

John.

--
John Newbigin