[Centos] Re: low end systems

Wed Dec 1 04:17:35 UTC 2004
Greg Knaddison <greg.knaddison at gmail.com>

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 17:28:05 -0800 (PST), Rick Graves
<gravesricharde at yahoo.com> >
> I had yum problems on Pentium I's with 72 megs of
> memory -- yum would crash a lot.  (This was running
> cAos 1, not CentOS.)
>
> I am surprised that 64 megs is working well for you.

I have run FC1/2/3 on systems like this with nothing but text mode
installed (e.g. no KDE, no GNOME, no X).  I too ran into problems with
yum, but was able to reduce them by running

yum check-update

to find packages that need updating and then doing a

yum install <singlepackage>

for each of the packages returned by the check-update.  I'm not sure
if that really makes sense and was helping or if it was just a
concidence that yum ran faster on those packages.

Greg