[Centos] *very* raw script for a new email server

Thu Dec 9 13:23:07 UTC 2004
Benjamin J. Weiss <benjamin at birdvet.org>

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, Henk van Lingen wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 09:14:48AM -0600, Benjamin J. Weiss wrote:
>   > All,
>   >
>   > I'm putting up a new email server, but I can't afford downtime when I
>   > switch servers.  So, I've been writing a script that will take a CentOS
>   > install and turn it into a secure email server with Spam Assassin,
>   > Amavis-new, ClamAV and external relay using SASL authentication.
>
>   I'm also doing a new server at the moment. Postfix, spamassassin,
>   courier-imap, ClamAV, ClamSMTP, Maildrop, Squirrelmail.
>
>   > - I have *no* idea whether or not Vipul's Razor is working or not.
>
>   I suppose you use this at spamassassin time. Add '-D' to your spamd
>   options (/etc/init.d/spamassassin) and see in your logfiles. I maded
>   RPMs myself from the spamassassin tar and noticed the dependency on the
>   perl-DB_File package was not specified in the spamassassin spec. You
>   need that however (at least if you are doing spamassassin at local
>   delivery time like I do)

See, that's the problem.  amavisd-new shows in the /var/log/maillog that
it's picking up spam assassin, whether the spamd daemon is running or not.
It seems to flag spam whether the spamd is running or not.  And I don't
see any spam assassin headers that I recognize from earlier versions of
SA.

So, I don't know if amavis is just running the spam assassin code
directly, or what.  And I haven't been able to find much documentation on
the subject.

On another note, I went with dovecot instead of courier, since dovecot
supports Maildir, which I've been wanting to use.  my mbox files are
*huge*.

I'm not familiar with Maildrop, is it a procmail alternative?

Thanks!

Ben