[Centos] Issues/thoughts re CentOS-4

Tue Dec 14 09:07:47 UTC 2004
Max Beerli <maxbeerli at hotmail.com>

>From: John Newbigin <jn at it.swin.edu.au>
>To: CentOS Users <centos at caosity.org>
>Subject: [Centos] Issues/thoughts re CentOS-4
>Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 17:22:21 +1100
>
>* Mission: To stay as close to RedHat as possible
>Issues: some things need to be modified to support this.  For example the
>cpu/memory restrictions will be removed(like in CentOS-3).

Could you please share more information about this? What cpu/memory
restrictions are in Centos 3 which are not present in RHEL3 ? This is what I
am trying to discover which RHEL version like AS, ES or WS is Centos based
on. I was under impression after reading Centros website documents that
Centos is designed to be an almost 100% RHEL clone minus the copyrighted
Redhat logos.

>If we start making changes, where do we draw the line?  In CentOS-2 I have
>fixed some small 1 line bugs (mostly packaging issues) but this might be a
>contentious issue.  What about a CentOS+ repo. for enhanced versions?

Yes please! Please keep Centos changes to RHEL SRPMS separate from RHEL
clone packages.

>* Issue: should the distro be self hosting?  I think as long as the
>requirements are available from the addon/extras repos. then I don't think
>this is needed out of the box.  Obviously the build environment needs to be
>well documented and reproducible.

Do you get best RHEL clone packages from building on RHEL AS computer
itself? If so then I believe that is what should be used to build Centos
RPMS. Opinions?

>* Mission: Remove RedHat trademarks.
>Issues: should we replace all rh logos/icons or just the ones required by
>RedHat?  I think if the file/words can be replaced then yes, but package
>names etc. should be left alone.

A nice mission would be to remain 100% RHEL compatible with just no Redhat
copyright logos + references.

>* Issue: gpg key.
>This should be installed by default so the user does not have to find &
>import it.  At a minimum it should be in /usr/share/doc/centos-release and
>work like a RedHat box.

This will be convenient!

>* Issue: release QA
>Before public release, a QA procedure should make sure that there are no
>obvious problems (like the comps issue of 3.3).

Ah also an good idea. Less bugs = more fun =)

>* Idea: automatic patch building.
>It should be possible to build most patches without intervention.  I don't
>know what the current systems in place are but if there were autobuilt
>unsigned patches available it would allow
>- testing of patches before they are 'officially' released
>- checking the progress if a patch

What patches are added to RHEL SRPMS besides logo removals?
This is the main reason why I am browsing Centos documents. I would like to
use RHEL clone on which to install RHEL compatible certified software and
hardware. If HP server is certified for RHEL AS then can I use with CEntos
without headaches? Same with software also like from Veritas or Oracle. I am
just giving examples ........ I dont use Oracle but just in case someone
else does.

Many thanks to all. Max.

Take charge with a pop-up guard built on patented Microsoft® SmartScreen
Technology
first two months FREE*.