[Centos] question about Webtraffic monitoring

Fri Dec 17 19:31:00 UTC 2004
Ted Kaczmarek <tedkaz at optonline.net>

On Fri, 2004-12-17 at 13:46 +0100, Michiel van Es wrote:
> Ryan Sweet wrote:
> > On Fri, 17 Dec 2004, Eugeny Zadevalov wrote:
> >
> >> Hello!

> >> I'm using "monit" package ("yum install monit" from DAG's repo).
> >> But, I'm also interested in more advanced software for REMOTE monitoring
> >> of services(APACHE, SSHD, etc), because monit specific for local
> >> monitoring...
> >>
> >> MONIT could be found at: http://www.tildeslash.com/monit/
> >

> > Maybe you should both look at NAGIOS.  Nagios and RRDtool together can
> > be used to monitor, graph, report just about anything.
> >
> > http://www.nagios.org
> >
> > regards,
> > -Ryan
> >
> I only want http monitoring and some RRdtool grpah per day/week/month
> with some graph which shows me downtime/uptime.
> That's mainly it..no full blown monitoring package with 3d graphs and
> hard to install/setup features :)
> I run nagios but I do not know how to:
> a) montitor a website
> b) make some nifty-click-on-this-button-graphs to show some simple SLA
> pstats
>
> Michiel

Downtime monitoring is rather pointless, uptime is all that matters.
Also, do you care about reachability or just the service?
Do you need to check for back end dependencies?
Is this a single server or a pool?
Do you have virtual servers?

A properly built apache server generally will only have a problem if
their is a hardware issue. In over four years of running apache on
Linux, I have not had one single instance where the daemon itself had a
problem, moron admins are the most common, with bad disks and brown outs
after that.

wget is about the simplest tool their is, that and a few lines of
scripting should handle what you want.

Ted